Marine’s display stolen from Davis

Within two minutes, the glass cover was removed and Ryan Little’s items from his tour as a Marine in Afghanistan was wrapped into a black sweatshirt and stolen. On Oct. 22 at 11:06 p.m., a man walked into the Davis Center tunnel and removed items from a display case that was advertising Veteran’s Day, according to a police notice. Much of the stolen items belong to junior and veteran Ryan Little. “Honestly, it doesn’t surprise me,” Little said. “It took like two seconds for him to pop the glass off. I’m lucky I didn’t put my medals in there.” The stolen items include three large carribeaners, a canteen and Marine- and Navy-issued hats. SGA senator Katie Rifken said the cases have been broken into in the past. “There are missing keys, people can lift the glass off the case,” Rifken said. “These were people’s priceless possessions, pieces of people’s lives.” Melody Walker works at Student Life and helps manage the display cases. “The glass has been removed before, mostly for people putting up their own advertising,” Walker said. “However, I would have never thought that this would happen.” Walker said a man came into the Student Life office on either Oct. 22 or Oct. 25 and asked her about the VCO display case. “He asked who owns the case, who owns the stuff inside the case,” she said. “He wasn’t memorable, but instead of talking to SGA he just left … it was a little weird.” University Police said Wednesday they are following ‘substantial leads,’ according to sergeant Daniel Finnegan. Along with the security footage of the tunnel that shows the man stealing the items and a possible eyewitness, Little said the police may be closing in on the suspect. “They’re moving in on the guy (on Wednesday),” Little said in a text, but police did not confirm any plans to make an arrest. Little is president of the Veteran’s Collaboration Organization (VCO), a group of student-veterans on campus that organize events like the Nov. 11 Veteran’s Day ceremonies.