Mary Magdalene and the Sacred Feminine

Friday, September 5-Saturday, October 18 The September/October exhibit in the Amy E. Tarrant Gallery links to Robin Holcomb’s FlynnSpace performances celebrating the life and writings of environmentalist Rachel Carson and her passionate reverence for the natural world. Fran Bull’s “Magdalene Cycle” of paintings is a meditation on Mary Magdalene, representing the Sacred Feminine who dwells in the matter of the world. Images of Magdalene, with her long red hair and transfixed gaze, are found in paintings by the old masters, and she is also represented abstractly-the blue is the blue of Earth, the red is the blood of life, the gold the soil, and the black the darkness into which Magdalene plunges with courage in order to return with her urgent message, to awaken us to the plight of the endangered ecosystem and to our mandate as its stewards. Fran Bull has shown her work in exhibitions throughout the U.S. and Europe, including the Sylvia White Gallery in New York, Santa Monica, and Los Angeles, the New York Academy of Sciences, the Fisher Fine Art Gallery in London, and the Chicago International Art Exposition, among others. She is the recipient of the 2002 Printmaking Award by the Council of New Jersey and is currently a member of the National Association of Women Artists, City Without Walls, the Organization of Independent Artists, and the National Museum of Women in the Arts. Bull is a graduate of Bennington College and received her Masters in Fine Arts and Education from New York University. She currently lives part-time in Brandon, Vermont, where she has a private gallery. A reception with the artist will be held on Thursday, October 9 from 5:30-7 pm.- Press Release