Medical professor’s heart work pays off with honor

A professor from the College of Medicine has recently been recognized by one of the top cardiovascular organizations in the world. Professor of Biochemistry and Medicine Kenneth Mann, Ph.D was named a Distinguished Scientist by the American Heart Association (AHA), an honor reserved for those whose work has advanced understanding of cardiovascular disease, a University Communications article stated. The award, created in 2003, progresses the AHA’s goal of “building healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and strokes,” the article stated. The research that propelled Mann to Distinguished Scientist status focused on blood coagulation. The National Institutes of Heath, the AHA and other areas in the pharmaceutical industry supported his publication, the article stated. Mann’s early career focused on the production of the protein thrombin and pharmaceuticals’ influence on it, University Communications stated. Mann and his research team have focused on computer simulation and clinical trials to determine the effects of various pharmaceuticals on blood clotting and thrombin production, Mann said. “Because our work flows in through all areas, we cover everything from cardiology to vascular surgery and trauma,” he said. “We’ve even written a lot of current textbooks on blood clotting and hematology.” Mann’s contributions have been recognized by various medical associations and have received awards such as the E. Donnall Thomas prize and the Stratton Medal of the American Society of Hematology, according to University Communications. “I got involved in blood clotting for a lot of reasons, and was mentored and tutored by very nice people over my career,” Mann said. His research career and training of graduate and medical students has produced scientists in the blood coagulation field. Mann attributes his success to his students, collaborators and his wife, Jeanette, the article stated.