Men’s basketball routs BU

Following a shaky start in a highly anticipated home contest, the UVM men’s basketball team outscored the Boston University Terriers 39-15 in the second half to earn a 75-47 win, ending BU’s eight-game winning streak. With the win, the Cats earn a season sweep of the Terriers and, most importantly, move back into first place in America East play with BU now third behind Binghamton.The Terriers came out firing on all cylinders in the first half, at one point leading the Cats by a 17-7 margin, but junior co-captain Maurice Joseph lived up to his preseason hype by scoring nine of his 13 points in a three minute span – all on three pointers -t o help cut the BU lead to 17-14.”Mojo did a great job of keeping us in the game early when we were struggling for whatever reason,” head coach Mike Lonergan said. Following his shooting outburst, Joseph notched his first of two steals, which was quickly followed by a layup and a subsequent free throw senior forward Colin McIntosh (13 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block).Less than a minute later, senior co-captain Mike Trimboli gave the Cats their first lead of the game at 20-19 with an easy layup.As Catamount fans have come to expect, Trimboli was the catalyst for the team on the night, with 17 points – 10 of which came in the second half – seven assists and two steals.The Cats rebounded to take a 36-32 lead into halftime, but they quickly extended that margin with freshman Garvey Young (10 points) continuing his hot streak to net five straight points and extend the UVM lead to 41-36.The decisive play in the game came with 14:20 left on the clock, as BU senior guard Marques Johnson managed to get wide open and take a deep inbound pass for what looked to be an easy layup.However, all-world athlete Marqus Blakely (12 points, 13 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals, 3 blocks) used his freakish closing speed to race down the court and meet Johnson’s layup attempt with a fierce block. The block was quickly followed by a Trimboli 3-pointer, giving the Cats their biggest lead of the night at 48-39 and sending the Catamount faithful into a frenzy.”The crowd was loud, tremendous, and really got us fired up,” Lonergan said. It was all Catamounts from there on out, as BU sophomore John Holland showed his frustration with a vicious foul on Trimboli, causing BU head coach Dennis Wolff to pull Holland instantly. Up next for the Cats is Sunday’s senior day game as they welcome Stony Brook to Patrick Gym in a 1 p.m. contest. Though it is not the final home game for seniors Trimboli, Colin McIntosh, Jordan Dean and Ryan Shields, as they play Buffalo on Feb. 21 in an ESPN Bracketbusters matchup, the class of 2009 will be honored at the game.