Men’s Hockey: Brown Defeats Vermont

Brown’s Mike Meech scored midway through the third period to break a 1-1 tie and the Bears went on to a 3-1 victory over Vermont in ECAC Division I men’s hockey action Saturday at a sold-out Gutterson Fieldhouse. Meech corralled a loose puck in the circle to the left of Vermont goalie Scott Sortal and beat Sortal, who had come out of the net to stop the original shot by Dylan Row. Meech’s goal, the fourth of his career, came at 7:01 of the third period. Brent Robinson scored with 70 seconds left to give the Bears an insurance goal. Brown, 2-1-0, took a 1-0 lead on a freak goal at 8:25 of the first period. Antonin Roux was given credit for the unassisted goal, which came about when a Vermont player went to clear the puck out of the zone and it hit a teammate in the back before bouncing past Scott Sortal and into the net. The goal was Roux’s first in his career, and he likely won’t score a stranger goal. The Catamounts, 0-5-2 overall and 0-2-0 in ECAC play, tied it moments later on Jeff Miles’ third goal of the season from right in front of Brown goalie Yann Danis. Brady Leisenring started the play, getting the puck to a streaking Scott Mifsud down the left side. Mifsud spun to avoid a Brown check, kept control of the puck and fed Miles in the low slot for the easy goal. Sortal made 21 saves for Vermont, while Danis stopped 24 for Brown..