Men’s Soccer Beats Sienna

The men’s soccer team gutted out a 3-2 win against lowly Siena Wednesday at Centennial Field. The Catamounts controlled play for much of the game, but were not able to tally any goals until the 2nd half. A late Siena comeback left the Catamounts lucky to get away with the win. From the very beginning of the game the Cats came out ready to play, showing no ill effects following Saturday’s tough loss at the hands of Binghamton. Only 90 seconds into the game freshman back Connor Tobin served up a beautiful ball from the left sideline that landed just inches shy of Jordan Crasilneck’s head at the top of the box as Siena keeper Patrick Henry came well out of the goal to poke it away. Just one minute after that, Devin Bitsack made the first of a couple nice runs on the day down the left sideline, this time failing to connect with anyone on a cross. UVM continued to keep the pressure on throughout the half, resulting in numerous Siena defensive miscues, but the Cats were not able to take advantage. With 9 minutes left in the half, midfielder Danny Broughan entered the game, after missing the three previous games, and provided a tremendous boost of energy to finish out the half. There’s little over a minute left before the half Lee Stephane Kouadio, who has now become a starter at forward following his outstanding play to open the season, made a run towards the box and was taken out on a hard tackle by a Saints defender. The play brought Critz out of the goal and the ball was eventually taken away by the Siena forward who failed to come up with the first goal of the game, despite Critz being well out of position. At the 51:11 mark Broughan, who started the 2nd half, placed a perfect thru ball into the box that Kouadio snuck underneath Patrick Henry for his team leading 8th goal of the season. Broughan also assisted on UVM’s 2nd goal of the game on another thru ball just over midfield that Jordan Crasilneck coralled for a breakaway,putting home his first career goal easily past Henry (62:48). UVM survived another scare with 25 minutes left as Connor Tobin broke up a 5 on 2 Siena breakaway with a slide tackle. But, in the 78th minute Siena’s Thomas Ciovacco put home his team’s first goal, taking advantage of a Vermont defensive miscue, as the Cats failed to clear the ball out of the box. Five minutes late though, Jesse Brady-Searby put home a one-timer inside the box off a rebound following a Crasilneck free kick, which would prove to be the winning goal against his former team. Searby transferred to UVM following his freshman year at Siena. Siena put home a meaningless goal with 38 seconds left in the game, to end the game at 3-2. Following the game coach Jesse Cormier commented, “We played extremely poor in the first half but we made the necessary changes at halftime. I give all of our guys credit for finishing the game strong.” Vermont is away from home for its next two games, against 24th ranked UNH on Saturday October 1st and Hartford next Wednesday, before returning to Centennial Field for this year’s homecoming game against UMBC on October 8th.