Men’s soccer fights New Hampshire to a draw

Vermont came up just shy of a victory against New Hampshire on Wednesday, leaving Centennial Field with a 0-0 tie.UVM opened multiple games this season with quick goals and they tried to continue that pattern against the Wildcats. Ten minutes into the game, sophomore Ryan White found the ball in his possession off a corner kick and fired toward the goal. The ball was deflected by UNH defenders only to be fired back at the keeper by senior Jake McFadden’s header, but the ball sailed high over the bar. The Cats moved the ball well throughout most of the first half, but failed to get many scoring opportunities from their strikers, junior TJ Gore and senior Lee Stephane Kouadio. “They had a game plan coming in,” head coach Jesse Cormier said. “They knew who our playmakers were.” The Wildcats (5-1-2), had many scoring chances of their own, but senior defender Connor Tobin helped the Cats disrupt the UNH attack. “They came out ready to play with a lot of intensity,” Tobin said. Vermont had a close call three minutes into the second half when Kouadio was able to get into the box after a few quick moves. His shot careened off the UNH goalkeeper and rolled slowly across the goal line. Redshirt freshman Pat Alonis came to knock the ball in but misfired wide right as the crowd groaned. Physical play shadowed the remainder of the game. New Hampshire’s A.J. Dubois received a yellow card 60 minutes into the game after he knocked down senior Jordan Crasilneck. Neither team managed to gain momentum and the rivals found themselves deadlocked at zero. “We’re disappointed not to come away at 3-0 today,” Cormier said. “We can’t look past situations and we have to be constantly ready to battle each game.”Cormier added that the team keeps improving and that the coaches will find creative ways to adjust to create more offensive opportunities. “We’re in position to continue to achieve our goals to come out on top of the conference,” Cormier said.