Milmoe’s condition still a mystery

Mike Milmoe, the UVM sophomore who collapsed during a flag-football game on Sept. 15, has been in the hospital for the past three weeks. The reason why Milmoe collapsed remains unknown. At first it was presumed that a virus attacked his heart but doctors have determined that this isn’t the case, according the Web site his family updates. Milmoe is not in a coma but he remains in a vegetative state, according the Web site. “His core brain stems are in tact but his functions are very limited. It appears he can feel pain and touch,” the Web site stated. Doctors, nurses, and his family still do not know if Milmoe can hear them when they speak to him. Milmoe has been battling with “sympathetic storms” over the past few weeks. The “sympathetic storms” occur when Milmoe has a temperature and his whole body begins to shake and sweat. The doctors have said that when Milmoe opens his eyes or if his body moves it does not “appear to be signs of progress but rather natural physical reactions,” the Web site stated. Milmoe was on a morphine-like drug in patch form to help him cope with the discomfort of the “sympathetic storms.” Nurses have been trying new medicines and different ways to position him to help ease the storms, according to the Web site. As of Oct. 3 at about 4:30 p.m., Milmoe was transferred from the Brigham and Women’s Hospital to the Spaulding Rehab Hospital. His lungs and his heart are strong enough that he no longer requires attention from the ICU, according to the Web site. He will now receive 24-hour assistance from some of the top brain specialists in the country. Milmoe began his physical training to help him with the recovery process on Oct. 4. As far as fundraising goes, bracelets to support the Mike Milmoe and his family can be purchased for five dollars through Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, which also conducted a grill-a-thon Sept. 30 – Oct. 1. For anyone who wishes to buy a bracelet or to send donations to the Milmoe family, checks or money can be sent to Sigma Phi Epsilon, 371 Main St., Burlington, VT 05401. All of the proceeds will go towards the Milmoe Family.