moe. Misses its Mark

Whether you are searching for your new jam or you are just a fan anticipating another hit recording from the Southern-rock jam band moe., you might want to brush aside The Conch and continue on your quest.The group, famous for their flowing improvisations and shows that keep the music flowing and the fans captivated, has decided to experiment with new styles both in their writing and recording.The album is spiced with electric layers of fresh new sounds and stunning guitar riffs such as those in “The Pit.”For their seventh album, moe. rented out a concert venue in Portland, Maine and used it as a studio, playing two shows for audiences who are also included on a few of the tracks.Having integrated traditional studio time with the sound of a live performance makes interestingand possibly more intense, compelling music than listeners have ever heard on previous moe. recordings. The new mood mixes in with styles of their old, familiar jams.Regardless, something is definitely missing, whether it is the loss of fast-paced, free-flowing improvisations, or the failed harmony of vocals with instruments (or maybe I just don’t dig that Southern twang).The tracks “Wind it Up” and “Where Does the Time Go?” carry on moe.’s beautiful and familiar riffs and percussions with catchy incorporations of instruments like the xylophone, yet it takes on a much slower and contained pace. Much of the album follows this pattern.It is melodic but lacking consistency throughout the entire work that previous albums like Wormwood executed.Songs like “The Road” allow for pleasant mellow listening, but seem to go nowhere.If you ask me, the plan backfired and ultimately takes away from whatever it is moe. tried to accomplish.