New dean appointed for Arts and Sciences

The College of Arts and Sciences has selected a new dean.

Dr. William Falls has been selected as the official dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

His term will begin March 1, according to a Feb. 24 press release.

Falls was chosen from a pool of more than 100 applicants.

“He joined the University of Vermont Faculty in 1998 and was appointed to full professor in 2010,” the press release stat- ed.

Falls was appointed interim dean July 15.

He served nine years as the chair of the department of psychological science, the press release stated.

The press release thanked the faculty members who served on the search committee.

“As evidenced by his service as department chair and interim dean, and confirmed by the national search, [Falls] is a highly-productive and well-respected educator and scholar,” the press release stated.

The former dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Antonio Cepeda-Benito resigned last spring after three years in the position, according to a Feb. 17 2015 Cynic article.

Cepeda-Benito credited his leave to a desire to change roles and responsibilities, according to the article.

Falls said he believes the arts and sciences are vital to the strength of higher education, according to an Oct. 20 Cynic article.

The search for a new dean included both recruitment and appointment processes directed by a committee that is selected by University President Thomas Sullivan, according to the article.