News Brief: Chief of police to join UVM faculty

Former chief of police at the University, Gary Margolis announced that will be leaving the Department of Police Services to join the University of Vermont faculty.

According to Friday’s press release, Margolis plans to teach and develop a nationally focused research initiative aimed toward campus safety and security.

Within the College of Education and Social Services, Margolis’ new nationally focused initiative has the goal of becoming “the premiere national resource in leading, promoting and supporting research-based efforts to enhance the safety and security of colleges and universities and their surrounding communities,” according to the press release.

The press release stated that funding would come from a combination of training and educational program revenue and federal grants, if successful.

According to the press release, Margolis will be succeeded by Lianne M. Tuomey as chief of police. Tuomey, who led the department of police services as interim chief and as the department’s second-in-command, has 27 years of experience with the Burlington Police Department and UVM Police Services.
Currently a commissioner for the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Margolis is a past general chair of the  University and College Section of the International Association of Chiefs of Police and a former member of the association’s executive committee, according to the press release.

In the press release, Margolis said that his choice to leave his position as chief of police is an extension of his lifelong commitment to education and public safety. He said that he hopes to continue to be of service to the University, addressing their safety and security challenges.