Nickelodeon chief will talk to grads

Hopefully no one will get slimed at this year’s spring commencement.   The president of the Nickelodeon television station, Cyma Zarghami, has been chosen as the official speaker for the commencement service on May 20.   Zarghami was nominated and chosen as this year’s speaker through a process led by the Board of Trustees, said Kelly O’Malley, the coordinator of ceremonial events.   As president of the Nickelodeon/MTV network Kids & Family group, Zarghami oversees all merchandise, international, digital and recreational branches of the corporation, a November Cynic article stated.   The Viacom Nickelodeon group has been the number one cable television network in the United States for 17 years, according to a University Communications article.   Originally an elementary education major, Zarghami switched into the English department before she left the University in 1985 and took a position at Nickelodeon, the article stated.   Zarghami moved up the ranks and was eventually named president in 2006.   Zarghami visited campus on Nov. 4 to participate in the Dean’s Leadership Series and speak about the evolution of the Nickelodeon brand.   The University will confer an honorary degree to Zarghami because she did not fully graduate from UVM, according to University communications.   Most of the feedback was positive because students said they had a childhood connection with Nickelodeon.   “Nickelodeon is an example of ingenuous creativity, and I am proud to share the University of Vermont as my place of education with its creator,” first-year Emma Rosenzweig said.    Other students said they hope Zarghami will relate her success as a female in the corporate world to the ideals of UVM.   “I am looking forward to hearing what she has to say as a woman in power with ties to the University,” first-year Maddie Rabin said.