Nurses’ Union leadership ask lead negotiator to resign

Sawyer Loftus, Senior Staff Writer

The lead negotiator for the UVM Medical Center nurses’ union has resigned after 8 months in the role.

The negotiator, Julie MacMillan, announced her decision to resign on Facebook after several members of the union leadership team asked her to resign, according to the post. MacMillan, who is a nurse in the Post Anesthesia care unit at the UVM Medical Center, will remain a union member according to the post.

The nurses have been in negotiations with the hospital since the end of March and their contract officially expired Jul. 9.

The nurses are asking for a 23 percent pay increase over the next three years, however the most recent offer from the hospital was only a 15 percent increase, according to an Aug. 20 UVMMC press release.

Currently there are no future negotiations sessions scheduled between nurses and hospital administration.

About the Contributor
Sawyer Loftus, Assistant Breaking News Editor

Sawyer Loftus is the Assistant Breaking News Editor. He is a sophomore and is double majoring in History and Political Science. He is from Colchester, Vermont in his free time he loves to read, binge Netflix and snuggle with his dogs Daisy and Duncan. His favorite books are Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. He joined the Cynic in January 2018 as a first-year in the Podcast section. He has been a Multimedia Reporter, Senior Staff Writer and Summer Editor at the VT Cynic.