NYC hosts WRUV jockeys

College Music Journal (CMJ) is an organization that focuses on music events and publishing. It has a weekly magazine made for college radio stations and those involved in the music industry such as record companies, promoters and record stores. As well as publishing weekly “Top 30” charts submitted by college radio stations throughout the United States and Canada, CMJ is well known for the annual CMJ Music Marathon that takes place each fall. The CMJ Music Marathon has taken place in New York City since 1981. One of the main focuses of the marathon is to showcase new music by sponsoring concerts in venues scattered throughout the city. Previous venues have included Bowery Ballroom, Webster Hall, Irving Plaza, The Knitting Factory and Hammerstein Ballroom. The marathon also hosts panels to discuss important issues in the music industry and for emerging artists. Panels feature both prominent and up and coming figures within the music industry. Individuals who have registered for the marathon receive CMJ badges that grant them access to all marathon events, such as concerts, films and panel discussions. Anyone can purchase a badge for the marathon, and there are group deals and student discounts that help cut down the cost of the somewhat pricey registration fee. This year’s CMJ Music Marathon, based at the Lincoln Center took place from Oct. 31-Nov. 4. Thousands of people attended the event, including members from UVM’s very own WRUV Executive Board. At the marathon, members of WRUV had the chance to network and solidify their connection with individuals in the music business, such as promoters for bands and record labels on which the station relies for its music supply. They were also able to attend panel discussions that focused on topics relevant to the station, such as music production and equipment, promotion and advertising, and the relationship between college radio, record labels and the artists they represent. Along with panel discussions and networking, the performance line-up was a highlight in and of itself. Performers such as The Shins, The Album Leaf, The Thermals, CSS, The Decemberists, George Clinton, Madlib, Girl Talk, The Knife, Hot Chip and Tapes ‘n Tapes were among the headliners. The CMJ Music Marathon is both a critical and fun music-packed week where music lovers, artists and others in the industry come together to celebrate the year’s best new music so far as well as those who are going to have an impact on the industry.For more information about CMJ visit http://www.cmj.com.