Outdoor Springfest threatened by mud

The Roots may soon be sunk on Central Campus. The University’s annual Springfest concert may be held inside due to wet ground issues on the Chittenden Buckham Wills(CBW) green, Concerts Bureau President Jenna Gabriel said. “Although the ground may seem dry to us … we don’t have the same weight as a stage with lights and speakers and amps,” Gabriel said. “If the ground is too wet the stage can sink into the ground.” The grounds are wet on Central Campus because of the late winter weather that Burlington has been experiencing. The CBW green has not had enough time to defrost because winter ended so late, she said. With the April 16 concert fast approaching, the bureau decided that if the ground were too wet, the concert would be held inside Patrick Gym, Gabriel said. The decision to move the show inside will be made on April 13 by University Grounds, she said. The decision must be made three days in advance so that the University can notify vendors, security and hospitality, Gabriel said. Tickets are also an issue due to the constraints of indoor events, she said. “If the show is outside, we have about 1,600 more tickets to sell, so let’s hope for the best for everyone’s sake,” Gabriel stated. Some students have said that having the event inside would not allow the majority of the student body to participate in the fest. “It’s sort of not fair,” first year Greg Radi said. “It would be made an exclusive concert if it was inside.” Others have said they are more concerned that having Springfest in the gym would interfere with the integrity of the event. “It would be a bummer to be indoors, especially since Springfest is meant to be outside,” first year Dylan Goldman said. Students can look at Springfest’s Facebook page for information on the grounds situation, Gabriel said.