Pasta party for the pull

In addition to recruitment, Greeks have their eyes on a shiny golden trophy — shaped like a fire truck. Different chapters will form teams to pull a fire truck up Church Street during Outright Vermont’s annual fire truck pull. The fire truck pull on Saturday, Sept. 18 is to benefit Outright Vermont, a program that supports LGBTQA youth in Vermont.   “I’m very proud of all the Greek leaders, and I am looking forward to seeing them win even more Fire Trucks this year,” graduate assistant for Greek life Kristin Lang said. In order to participate, each chapter or team needs to raise $125. In an attempt to help the chapters raise money, Greek life governing councils the Panhellenic Council and the Interfraternity Council held a pasta dinner for $5 on Friday. “We really tried with this event to reach out to the UVM and Burlington community by working with Outright Vermont and advertising all around campus,” Vice President of Programming for the Panhellenic Council Megan Long said. So far, half of the chapters have fundraised all of the money for this event, but they have until the end of the week to raise money to participate.   Phu Lam, senior Pi Beta Phi president, said that she thought that the dinner was a great event to raise money for a good cause and for Greek life as well. “I think the pasta dinner is a great way to get the entire community involved,” Lam said. “Campus wide Greek events are on of the best ways to meet people, stay involved and have fun. I am so proud Pi Phi can participate in an event that contributes to the greater Burlington area.”