Redstone getting blasted

Students living on Redstone Campus may not have to set their alarm clocks if they have to get up early for class. UVM will begin construction on the Redstone Lofts Housing Project in mid-April, starting with the blasting of rock ledge, according to an email sent to students from Residential Life (ResLife). The construction is expected to take place from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, though all blasting and other noise-generating activities won’t begin until 8 a.m., according to the email. Some students have said they are worried that the noise created by the blasting will affect their sleeping schedules. “I’m not happy about it,” sophomore Nate Somerville said. “I don’t usually wake up at 8, so I’m going to have to change my sleeping habits.” The blasting noise will also prevent students from opening their windows at night as the weather improves, Somerville said. “If opening my windows at night to get cool air means I’ll be hearing explosions in the morning, I just won’t do it,” he said. In order to reach its scheduled opening for Fall 2012, the construction will not stop during finals week and will limit students’ ability to study in their rooms, according to the announcement. The Redstone Development Team will do their best to alleviate any major disruptions from noise, especially during finals week, said Annie Stevens, vice president of student and campus life. “While students are rightfully anxious about the impending construction, it is hopeful that it will not be as bad as anticipated,” Stevens said. The University is investigating opportunities to find quiet study areas in other nearby residence halls throughout the remainder of the semester, she said. Upon completion, the Redstone Lofts will provide 403 beds within 144 units in a mix of studio, one-, two-, three- and four-bedroom apartments, according to the email. ResLife will be holding two open forums to answer any student questions about the construction, according to an announcement on their website. Questions or concerns about the Redstone Lofts project should be directed to [email protected]