Remembering Will Miller

It has been just over a year since long time activist and UVM philosopher Will Miller’s death. Rather than mourn this loss, it seems more appropriate to celebrate him and be reminded of all he stood for as his legacy is living on in the hearts and minds of the UVM faculty, staff and student body. We see Will’s spirit all around as activism is now flourishing on campus. I would like to take the time to pay tribute to the man that was the soul of the vibrant leftist community in Burlington for well over 30+ years. My experiences knowing Will were limited, as were many students he got involved with, but the mark that he left continues to be felt today. Regardless of what time period you were a student of Will, you could be sure that there was a social movement to get involved with. You also could guarantee that no matter what the particular goal of the movement, Will would be there to give his all to the struggle. Ron Jacobs summed this up best in Will’s obituary just over one year ago: “Will was different from many activists because his interests and involvement included a wide range of problems. He viscerally understood that almost all the issues of concern to him and many others were in one way or another caused by, or made worse by, capitalism.” As we are faced with many issues on campus and around the world today, Will’s understanding still holds true. We see the continued corporatization of UVM, the lack of livable wages, the suppression of immigrants rights throughout the nation, as well as many other issues that, as Will taught us, should be linked up to a struggle against dominant systems of oppression. More specifically, I remember Will’s leadership role in taking over Bernie Sanders offices when the only “Independent” in Congress voted in favor of military intervention in Kosovo. Will and I also engaged in a very powerful and heated debate against the core of the Republican voices on campus at the time against the idea that the US should be a global police force. Never before have I seen such a passionate and well-informed advocate for a truly just society. Will was a walking encyclopedia when it came to US military interventions. He could always tell you the things that the news media and our government were trying to keep secret. His passion for knowledge was something that has inspired me to be where I am today, and I know that I am not the only one who feels this way about Will. Not only are there many here at UVM that remember and miss Will’s presence on campus, but his reach extends far beyond the city of Burlington or even the state of Vermont. It has been said that, “Will’s students are like followers of the Grateful Dead. You can find them in every part of the planet and in almost every profession.” The thing about people like Will is that you get to know him for a few years and then you move on, taking what he gave you. It is important for us to remember our past, and in particular the legacy of Will Miller. Will shall be missed…