ResLife to implement tiered pricing structure for fall 2024

Jackson Palumbo
Photo illustration: UVM is implementing a three-tier dorm rate system beginning fall 2024.

UVM is altering their room pricing to a tiered system and increasing prices overall, according to a room selection notice sent out to students Feb. 1 and the University’s residential life website.

Beginning fall 2024 UVM will be implementing a three-tier dorm room rate system with the categories “standard,” “enhanced” and “premium.” 

“Standard rooms are traditional in format, with communal-style bathrooms and basic amenities such as heat, standard furniture, etc,” states a ResLife FAQ page on the topic. 

Buildings in the standard tier include Converse Hall, Marsh/Austin/Tupper, Wing/Davis/Wilks, Christie/Wright/Patterson, Redstone Hall, McAuley, Mercy, Cottages, Coolidge Hall and Slade Hall, according to the website. 

All standard rooms will be seeing a 3% price increase from the 2023-2024 academic year pricing, according to the FAQ page.

“Enhanced rooms are in buildings that may be traditional halls with dining facilities inside—Harris/Millis, Mason/Simpson/Hamilton—or suite-style arrangements without dining halls—the Back 5, L/L,” the FAQ page states.

Enhanced rooms will be seeing a 5% price increase from the 2023-2024 academic year pricing, according to the FAQ page. 

“Premium rooms are found in our newest facilities—University Heights and Central Campus Residence Hall—where our students experience full climate control, private or suite-style rooms and single-occupancy bathrooms.” 

These rooms will be seeing an 8% price increase from the 2023-2024 academic year pricing.

“We have held rates steady for a number of years, during which our own costs have increased, the cost of utilities, staff salary increases, emergency services, maintenance supplies, and our payments to both external vendors and campus partners have all increased, making it unsustainable to operate and maintain our residence halls at their current levels,” the FAQ page states.

First-year Emily Antonetti said she had heard about the change once in passing.

“I think this will definitely make people want to not live on campus, and you know the outside prices not on campus are also expensive because it’s Burlington, and like, how am I supposed to afford this?” Antonetti said. “I already have loans out.” 

In response to the question of financial impact from the new housing pricing system, the FAQ page states students should contact Student Financial Services if they’re experiencing financial hardship.

“Students experiencing financial hardship may be eligible for financial aid to assist with their increased room charges,” the FAQ page states. 

Additionally, the FAQ page states that as a result of the updated room selection process, students will have no obligation to select rooms that are priced outside of their means.

“Students have full agency to choose a room type that is appropriate to their needs and budget,” the FAQ page states.

“I know that they’re a lot more expensive if you have certain features that are better than others, and are just more expensive in general, which is upsetting to me,” said first-year Jami Garrison.

Garrison said that the update isn’t very well-circulated.

“I only knew because one of my friends showed it to me but I haven’t talked about it with anyone other than her,” Garrison said.

Garrison said that the new pricing may slightly affect her plans for housing next year, and that she won’t apply to the honors college because it’s too expensive, but that the different tiers aren’t too differently priced.

“I think it’s fair for some [rooms] to be more expensive than others based on what they have, but in general, I think that it is sad that they’ve become more expensive,” Garrison said.