Response to Hutchinson’s Wet Dream

I’m certain that all passengers on the Redstone Express can in some way relate to your experiences, but personally, your article did not fair well with me. It may seem to we privileged undergrads that the bus drivers take their job “too seriously,” but please, try not to be so ignorant. Yes, driving a bus may seem like a less than desirable profession, but let’s face it: in this economy, any job is better than no job at all–we all need to be employed to survive. As well, I think your critique of our student body is far too scathing. It’s wonderful that being a sociology major (if so you are, it was unclear) causes you to thrive off of observing various ways in which people are inclined to behave, but stereotypes are self-fulfilling prophecies: we see what we want to see or are conditioned to see. Moreover, to use the Redstone Express as a microcosm for the comprehensive student body of UVM is a ballsy assertion: it’s largely comprised of freshman and sophomore undergrads. But where do you, omnipotent observer, fit into your own stereotypical analysis of UVM students? I suppose you’re the kid slouching back in one of the “woven seats,” listening to his iPod, all the while relentlessly scrutinizing us who are just trying to make it to class on time.