Rising and falling through the new year

The women’s basketball team went on a tear in Decem?ber, winning four of six games and stands 0-2 in the New Year.The Lady Cats sit at 10-4 overall and 1-0 in America East play over conference foe Stony Brook.The Catamounts are lead by junior Amy Rosencrantz and sophomores Courtnay Pilypaitis and May Kotsopoulos, all of whom average double figures in scoring.Pilypaitis also leads the team in assists and rebounds on the season.One of Vermont’s two losses came to Big East powerhouse Louisville and the other at the hands of Robert Morris.In the conference opener the Cats defense stifled the Stony Brook offense in the first half, holding them to 16 points and only 20 percent shooting from the floor. A strong first half and stellar shooting at 50 percent boosted them to a 17-point half time lead. Pilypaitis poured in a game-high 23 and Rosencrantz chipped in 13.Freshman Tonya Young grabbed eight rebounds, while juniors Kelli Poles and Andrea Cihal snatched six boards and contributed five points each.The Cats walked away with a decisive 61-49 win and solid start to conference play.UVM’s home opener comes on Jan. 16 when they take on Albany at Patrick Gym, the first of a four-game conference homestand.