Say what? SGA Phraseology: Definitions and terms you need to know for a meeting

Point of information! The SGA uses many phrases in their Tuesday meetings that may confuse newcomers. Anyone wishing to attend one of the open meetings may be instantly thrown into a fast-paced mess of forums and points. To help prepare you, here is a list of SGA’s commonly used phrases: Point of information: When a senator stands up and gives factual information that applies to the current discussion. “Point of information, the event is in the Livak Ballroom.” Point of inquiry: Used when a senator is confused about the procedure of a meeting. “Point of Inquiry, are we voting on whether to take a vote or on the actual subject matter?” Point of clarification: When a senator does not understand what is being said and asks for more information so that they can better participate in the debate. “So I was totally frustrated with the TRI”— “Point of Clarification, what does TRI stand for?” (P.S. TRI is Transdisiplinary Research Initiative.) Senatorial forum: This is when senators are able to discuss matters pertaining to SGA. “I really liked the legislation that we passed!” Senatorial comments and announcements: This is when senators are given the opportunity to let other senators know about things that do not pertain to senate. “Come to my house later for pizza!” Follow-up: If a senator asks a question but does not feel as though it was fully answered they may ask the speaker for a follow-up.  If the speaker allows the follow-up question then the senator still has the floor and is able to ask another question. Public forum: When members of the audience (non-senators) are able to come and speak at the SGA meetings.  Faculty, staff, students, community members or politicians can let the senate know what they are working on or need help with, etc.  Anyone is allowed to speak on public forum. (To get on the agenda, e-mail Claire Chevrier at [email protected]) Yielding the floor: Yielding the floor is a way to get around the speaking order.  If someone yields the floor to someone else then that person has the floor and is able to speak even if not on the speaking order.  It is used when somebody has something important to add that cannot be considered a point of information, or if someone wants to speak that is not a senator (the SGA president, vice president, treasurer or audience member.)