Scandal shakes UVM

A controversial relationship put UVM’s administration in the spotlight this summer. Former President Daniel Mark Fogel’s wife, Rachel Kahn-Fogel, and Michael Shultz, associate vice president for development and alumni relations, were found to be involved in a relationship outside of their work at UVM, according to Seven Days. Seven Days received sexually suggestive email conversations between Shultz and Kahn-Fogel through a public records request, revealing a six-year relationship between the two. The content of the emails were revealed to be inappropriate during the divorce hearings between Schultz and his now ex-wife Pauline Manning. “It was very explicit,” Manning told the court. “It said, ‘Taste me, I want to taste you, let me feel your long muscley arms on my body.'” The scandal and later investigation made national news this summer as reporters from ABC News, Reuters and The Huffington Post picked up the story. Kahn-Fogel stepped down from her role in planning development events at UVM, according to the Burlington Free Press. Some students said they were shocked to hear of the scandal. “It was kind of a surprise to me,” sophomore Katie Murray said.  “It makes me wonder if Fogel knew about the scandal or not.”