Schultz resigns amid controversy

Some scandals come with a price tag. Michael Schultz, former associate vice president for development, accepted a resignation deal from the Board of Trustees that will guarantee him more than $220,000 through 2012, according to the Burlington Free Press. Schultz came under fire in August after an investigation by Seven Days magazine revealed his personal relationship with Rachel Kahn Fogel, the wife of former president Daniel Mark Fogel. Board of Trustees Chair Robert Cioffi told the Burlington Free Press that this resignation deal would end any further investigations into the relationship. The agreement also includes a confidentiality clause, keeping Schultz from speaking publicly about the relationship. While no school policies or state laws were violated, the relationship’s conduct was clearly inappropriate and imprudent, according the Board’s review. The investigation also found no violations in Schultz’s doctorate dissertation, which was entitled “Elucidating the Role of the University CEO’s Spouse in Development, Alumni Relations and Fundraising.” Schultz will leave the University in good standing and will receive a letter of recommendation from Vice President of Executive Operations Gary Derr.