SGA recognizes Chi Alpha after concerns

The decision on whether or not the SGA would recognize the religious group Chi Alpha rested on one word.  The SGA voted to officially recognize the student Christian group Chi Alpha after they agreed to omit a section of their constitution that members of the SGA said could be discriminatory.  Originally, Chi Alpha’s constitution stated “[All officers] will profess Christian faith as expressed in the Nicene Creed, and they will support the mission and values of national Chi Alpha Campus Ministries.” Students and senators discussed concerns that this kind of regulation for the executive members could be considered discriminatory.”If the student government [recognizes] this, they are [recognizing] a club that is exclusive to a certain faith,” senior Max Bookman said. Not recognizing the club could get the SGA into legal trouble, Chair Claire Chevrier said.”Personally I feel terribly discriminated against by this. I don’t profess the Nicene Creed and I don’t lie — but those are my personal feelings, not my feelings as a senator,” she said. “If your morals are screaming red flag, that’s your private interests, and if we don’t recognize them we are going against the U.S. Constitution.”Senator Marty Frye said he wanted to support them, but not with the current language in the constitution, and other senators said they agreed.”Exclusion from an opportunity is not something I am willing to fund,” one senator said. The Chi Alpha representatives said that membership is open to anyone and it is just the executive board positions that are restricted to those who accept the Nicene Creed.”Lawsuit has never been a thought on our radar,” a Chi Alpha representative said. “We want to talk to you if you have red flags and concerns about our personal beliefs — we are not prejudiced, scary people.” However, after Chi Alpha agreed to omit the section, the SGA voted unanimously to recognize the organiztion.