SGA recognizes UVM Club Wrestling

Last Tuesday, the Student Government Association (SGA) voted to officially recognize a UVM Club Wrestling team.Nick Cafarelli, a UVM sophomore, said that he decided to form the Wrestling Club during the fall semester because he knew of a few students that would be interested.”Within the first few hours of completing the club forms, a meeting was set up for that night and eleven kids showed up,” Cafarelli said, “[Then] I presented the idea to Marissa Couzens.”Marissa Couzens is the chair of the Student Activities Committee (SAC). “The [SAC] is designed to help students go through the necessary steps in order to start a club, help them design their constitution as well as plans for the future and how to ensure the longevity of the club,” Couzens said.Cafarelli assured the entire Senate at the meeting on Tuesday that, with already 23 members and a dedicated coach, Aaron Kinsey, there will definitely still be interest in the club even after summer break.There is no collegiate wrestling in Vermont, but now, UVM is part of the Northwest Conference of the National Collegiate Wrestling Association (NCWA), said Cafarelli.The team has already had five meetings, said Cafarelli. “Seeing the same kids show up meeting after meeting was really encouraging.”Zack Ziskan, another member of the team said, “we have a solid group of guys, and we don’t push anyone away.”Now that the club is official, they are looking to buy uniforms and possibly organizing a tournament, said Cafarelli. The next meeting is scheduled for Feb. 3 at 8 p.m. in Wing Hall. “We are still looking for those who want to learn because you don’t know how good you are until you try,” Cafarelli said.