SGA Response to Proposed President’s Commission on Diversity

Whereas “Our Common Ground” at the University of Vermont is based upon the values of respect, integrity, innovation, openness, justice and responsibility; Whereas all members of the UVM community deserve equal support and representation; Whereas “diversity” has many meanings and categories including, but certainly not limited to, race, sexual orientation, culture, ethnicity, gender identity, gender expression, sex status, disability status, religion, political affiliation, economic status, and age; Whereas many individuals within the UVM community identify with more than one diverse group or population; Whereas President Fogel has proposed a Commission on Diversity which will primarily focus on race-related issues; Whereas there is an immense number of diversity issues beyond race on UVM campus which deserve attention and concern; Whereas there is not a commission which effectively represents all diverse populations at UVM and addresses issues of social justice such as discrimination, marginalization, exclusion, and oppression; Be it resolved that the Student Government Association implores President Fogel to expand the focus of the proposed President’s Commission on Diversity to address all issues of social justice, human rights, and equity on campus; Be it further resolved that the Student Government Association strongly advises President Fogel to utilize the proposed President’s Commission on Diversity as an avenue to strive towards greater understanding and acceptance on our campus through the recognition and education of all students, staff and faculty regarding diversity issues; Be it further resolved that the Student Government Association encourages the creation of subcommittees within the proposed President’s Commission on Diversity to further address all issues of social justice and opportunities for education and community building in our campus community.