Skiing to host home carnival Feb. 1, 2

The UVM ski team is looking to rebound from a slow start with their home carnival this weekend, Feb. 1 and 2, at Stowe Mountain Resort and Trapp Family Lodge. “We were a little disappointed in our previous performances,” said Bill Reichelt, Vermont Director of Skiing and head alpine coach. “We are looking to come out firing that first day.” The team has placed third in their two previous carnivals leading up to this weekend. “We expect to do well, and we have a lot of confidence going in,” Reichelt said. Last year, the team placed second in their home carnival, behind eventual national champion, Dartmouth, who has carried the impressive skiing over to this year. “There is strong competition,” Reichelt said. “We have a good taste of what the teams are like. We have to capitalize on their weaknesses or mistakes.” The alpine racing conditions at Stowe are relatively steep and fast, so the slightest mistake can turn into disaster, Reichelt said. While the alpine team will be racing at Stowe mountain, the Nordic team will be close by at Trapp Family Lodge. On Friday, both the men’s and women’s Nordic teams will be racing in the 10k classic. The sprint races will be held on Saturday. “We have been off to a slow start,” head Nordic coach Paul Stone said. “But we are building some momentum.” Juniors Juergen Uhl and Ryan Kerrigan have been skiing well for the men – Uhl sweeping the 20k classic so far this season – while sophomore Jennie Bender and junior Katrina Howe have both been integral for the women’s side. “We have a young team, and we’re trying to develop some of our younger skiers,” Stone said. Vermont’s hopes are high and may be enough to successfully defend their home slopes. “Everyone has to be on top of their games and have a great weekend,” Reichelt said.