Small foundations to radio stations

Radio Bean/Duino Duende, an eclectic community space, coffee shop and restaurant, offers live music until early in the morning and cuisine made to satisfy adventurous palates.

While even the New York Times has reviewed the venue, Radio Bean comes from humble beginnings. Lee Anderson, founder and owner of Radio Bean and Duino Duende, studied at UVM before he was denied his appeal to pay an in-state tuition rate.

The space below his apartment on North Winooski Ave. came up for rent in 2000. Nine months later, Radio Bean opened its doors.

What came with it was an opportunity to facilitate social change.  Anderson sought to create a space where social change could happen both in a local venue and on the airwaves.

This began with the establishment of the Radio Bean, and has expanded with the execution of the Radio Bean’s station The Radiator, 105.9 FM.

The Radiator is described on its website as a Low Power FM station, which was a noncommercial educational service established by the Federal Communications Commission, allowing “local groups to provide programming responsive to local community needs and interests.”

The Airwave radius for FM 105.9 spans only 3.5 miles on 100-watt Bandwidth, which is all Anderson needs for the Burlington community to keep the local vibes vitalized.

From broadcasting to the home base, Anderson described Radio Bean as a real world community college, where people with common values can meet each other without the bureaucratic monotony of various college obligations.

Spawning the careers of artists such as Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Anais Mitchell and Birdie Busch, the Radio Bean has been exemplary in fostering a community where musical and culinary talent can be enjoyed in the presence of one another.

The philosophy of common values behind Anderson’s establishment plays itself out not only from a musical standpoint on the Radio Bean side, but also from a culinary standpoint on the Duino Duende half, as expressed by Sous Chef Derek Hoyt.

Hoyt said he has worked in restaurants his whole life, including nine years in high-end Philadelphia restaurants, and was about to move but stayed for the position.

“Lee gives a f*** about the people, that’s why the place is special and that’s why I care so much.” Hoyt said.

Anderson said he thinks the restaurant side has changed the customer base.

“The original reasoning was for coming in for food but then they end up catching on to some local bands.” Which he thinks has created an even better community.

There are changes to the dining aspect on the horizon, including significant variations to brunch, and an overall development of a more focused menu. Dishes range from about $8-12 per entr?©e and less for small plates, according to the menu.

Joe Adler, the booking manager, said it’s at least a three-month wait for artists to book show times. However, Anderson said there were some open slots and flexibility for last minute shows.

To reach more of the community, Anderson said he hopes to start a “School Lunch” series that would showcase TedTalk style speakers and would offer school-style lunch served on a lunch tray.

He said he hopes students in the area will come to Radio Bean like they used to when he first opened.

“Performances are not limited to musical acts; Theatre, spoken word, poetry, and any other self-expression are all encouraged.” said Anderson.

Radio Bean is open Monday-Saturday, 8a.m.-2a.m. and Sunday 10-2a.m. Duino Duende is open Sunday-Thursday, 11a.m.-12-a.m. and Friday-Saturday, 11a.m.-1a.m.