Softball earns first America East wins

Cats halt long losing streak with conference wins against SienaThe UVM softball team swept both games of a double header on the road against Siena last Tuesday afternoon.The next day, they dropped both games against rival Albany. Then this weekend, the Catamounts took the three game series at Binghamton, losing the first game but winning the next two.These games extend the softball’s team record to 10-20 on the season and 3-8 in American East play.The big story coming out of the losses to Albany was senior Kate Haber breaking the school’s record for most hits in her career, pushing the mark to 144.In both games versus Albany, the Catamounts played tough, holding a 2-2 tie near the end of the game, only to lose it coming down the stretch.In the first game, the Cats tied it up at two a piece in the top of the seventh, only to give up the game winning run on an error. In this game Haber broke and set the record, going 2-4 at the plate, with one RBI. In the second game, senior Aimee Kern pitched a complete game, striking out three and giving up six hits, with only one earned run, again errors being the issue and the reason Albany won.In the second game of the double header with Binghamton, Haber was the star, going 3-4 at bat with three RBIs.In the final win over Binghamton, the Cats exploded in the fifth inning, scoring nine runs and cruising to a 13-4 victory.Earlier this season, the team had a 10 game losing streak, but has rebounded nicely, winning six out of 11, before dropping the two to Albany. The Cats will face off against Maine this weekend.