Substantial content change for MCAT

Students applying to medical school for the fall of 2016 will take a new and “improved” Medical College Admission Test, commonly known as the MCAT. The purpose of the test’s changes, taking place for the year of 2015, is to better prepare the doctors of tomorrow for challenges of the future health care system, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges. As much as 50 percent of the test’s content will change and will now test students’ levels of conceptualization of information, as opposed to memorization of facts, according to Princeton Review.  “It’s mostly science and memorization, which basically involved hours a day reading and doing questions,” Gerardo Torres Flores ’12, former pre-med club president, said.  “The new changes are good because they involve social sciences, which would involve more reasoning and rational thinking,” he said. The current MCAT is more than five hours long and consists of three sections. The sections include physical sciences, verbal reasoning, biological sciences, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges.     The MCAT will become more than seven hours long, and will include a new section called psychological, social and biological foundations of behavior. The section will test aspiring medical students’ understanding of influences on behavior and social interactions, as well as how people process emotions and stress, according to the Princeton Review. The biological science section will also change to the biological and biochemical foundations of living systems, placing more emphasis on biochemistry, according to the review.   However, pre-med students applying to medical school for fall 2016 are not obligated to take the new exam.  Most medical schools will accept scores from the past three years, according to the review.  “Medical school is extremely competitive. Taking an exam this long, especially being a slower test taker, worries me,” said Christine Nolan, a first-year biochemistry major.  Though medical school prerequisites vary, most include credits in psychology and sociology, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges.   Some students said they believe that the changes to the exam may, in fact, benefit them.   Nolan said she finds the field of psychology to be “interesting,” so taking a psychology class will be beneficial. She plans to take the 2016 MCAT