Swimming Ends Third Best Season in School History

The UVM swimming and diving team broke the school record for overall points and placed fifth at the America East Championships last Sun-day night. The team’s new record 454 points, was an incredible overall team effort includ-ing the coaches, who earned the America East’s Coaching Staff of the Year award for 2006-2007.”Overall this was just an in-credible meet,” said Vermont head coach Gerry Cournoyer. “I am very impressed with the team and their accomplish-ments.”Catamount freshman Mol-ly Macmillan, two-time Amer-ica East Swimmer of the week and an ECAC Swimmer of the week, was named America East Rookie of the Year.In addition to breaking the overall points record, the Cats ended up breaking an outstanding 14 school and five freshman records.MacMillan led the Cata-mounts, breaking numerous school records including the 200-meter backstroke, 100-meter backstroke and the 500 freestyle. On top of the individual records, she helped the 400-meter freestyle, 400-meter medley, 800-meter freestyle and 200-meter medley relay teams break four more school records. MacMillan and fellow freshman teammate, Colleen Clark, were the top two scor-ing freshmen at the meet.Clark set two new school records in the 100-meter and 200-meter freestyle and also contributed to the record set-ting 400-meter and 800-meter relay team.Sophomore Lauren Hon-rath broke the school records for the 1,650-meter freestyle and the 1000-meter freestyle.Junior Nicole Underwood broke two of her own school records in the 400-meter in-dividual medley and the 200-meter butterfly.UMBC won the meet with a total score of 719 points as Boston University came in second with 616. New Hamp-shire followed with 596, then Maine with 462 and Vermont finished in fifth. Stony Brook finished sixth with 264 and Binghamton rounded out the America East Championships with 247.The 400-meter freestyle relay team, made up of Mac-Millan, Clark, Shiloh Page and Rachel Kent not only set a new school record, but qualified the team for the USS Short Course National Champion-ship in December of 2007 in Atlanta, Ga.The 800-meter freestyle relay team, made up of Clark, MacMillan, Colleen Wither and Lauren Anderson also set a school record and at the same time qualified for the na-tional meet in 2007 as well.”I am extremely pleased and thrilled with how we are doing and that we have seen a lot of personal bests,” said head coach Gerry Cournoyer.”We will look to build on this for next year as all of our student-athletes that compet-ed in the meet will return next season.