The real 36 hours in Burlington

If a New Yorker’s idea of Burlington consisted of art galleries, French restaurants and dance clubs, these poor city folk would not even have scratched the surface. Last fall, The New York Times wrote an article entitled “36 hours in Burlington,” showcasing what they saw as the city’s top attractions.However the Times focused more on the touristy locations and missed the city’s multifaceted aspects that make it such an amazing place to live and visit.The Cynic delved into some of the more discrete locales in which to spend a day and a half in B-Town — here’s what we discovered.Friday 4 P.M. Ambiance and RelaxationSo you’ve had a rough week, and you want to relax before going out to celebrate the weekend.  Dobrá Tea, at 80 Church St., with its mellow lighting and warm atmosphere, is the perfect place to go with a bunch of friends on a Friday evening to calm your nerves and get into the weekend mindset.Sit on floor cushions in one of the mini rooms, sip a cup of Chai tea or maybe some Gong Fu if you’re feeling adventurous, and let your worries dissipate. Friday 10 P.M.Going OutWhether you’re heading to a party at a friend’s off-campus house or going somewhere downtown, Friday night is the time to go out, dance and generally see and be seen.If you want a club, there’s Metronome at 188 Main St., or if you want a coffee shop with live music, you should go to Radio Bean at 8 N Winooski Ave.Either way, spending a Friday night in Burlington sitting in your dorm room, lamenting about your love problems, should be a crime.Saturdya 1:30 A.M.Post Midnight SnackIt’s late, and after a good night, your stomach is grumbling but you don’t want the standard Domino’s delivery.Kountry Kart Deli on Main St. downtown, affectionately termed “KKD” by those who frequent it, is the perfect place to get a sandwich to satisfy your hunger and maybe an Arnold Palmer to quench your thirst.There’s nothing more satisfying in the early hours of the morning than a Philly Shiner, a breakfast sandwich with steak, egg and cheese on a roll. Open until 3 a.m., the walk down the hill is worth it.Saturday 11 A.M.Breakfast: No alarm clock necessaryOK, so The Times had it right with this one. Magnolia Bistro offers the best brunch, hands down. Stop in at One Lawson Lane. If the wait is too long, don’t forget Penny Cluse Café at 169 Cherry St.Saturday 2 P.M.Down TownIf you’re a student at UVM, you’ve probably been to Church Street about a thousand times already, but it’s still a good place to spend a Saturday, perusing Old Gold for eclectic accessories for the next theme party you’re attending or American Apparel for a shirt that changes colors when it gets warm.For lunch, you can get unique sandwiches with international flair at Four Corners of the Earth at 310 Pine Street.If you’re tired of the prices at the Marché, you can stop at City Market to grab some fresh local produce, or whatever it is that you need, while you’re in town.Saturday 7 P.M.LIve MusicLocated at 1214 Williston Rd. in South Burlington, Higher Ground is a relatively small venue that manages to attract great acts while still letting you get close to the band with their mostly standing-room-only shows. If you are seeing a concert in Burlington, this is where you will want to do it.Sunday 10 A.M.Not Your Average BreakfastThe Skinny pancake, a creperie down by the waterfront, opens at 8 a.m. and offeres crepes both savory and sweet, all under 10 dollars.Thier menu does include breakfast crepes, but no one’s going to stop you from getting one with nutella if that’s your crepe of choice.Going between downtown and campus is a short walk, but if it’s cold or if you’re just feeling lazy, there’s always public transportation.The CCTA bus is free for UVM students with ID, stops at the crosswalk between the Davis Center and Athletic Campus and stops on Cherry Street if you need a bus during the day.If it’s late and that bus has stopped running (around 9 p.m. on Friday, 7 p.m. on Saturday), the off-campus UVM buses run until 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.You can catch it downtown in front of the Cherry Street Rite Aid and many places on campus, including by the Davis Center.