The “real” Cats finally step up

It may have taken all season, but the men’s soccer team has finally hit their stride and it could not have come at a better time.After loosing eight of their first 11 games, the highly touted group looked as if they had lost their way.With most of the key pieces (except for dominating defender and team captain Corey Bronner ’06) returning for another year, the Cats had high hopes for the 2007 season.Even with their top five scorers back, they could not get on the board early in the year, scoring only six goals in their first 11 contests.The beginning of the conference sea?son looked like it would follow the same trend as the Cats lost a heartbreaker to Albany (1-0) at home and then dropped another overtime game at Stony Brook (1-0).But, as of late, things have changed.The team has gone 3-0-2 in their last five games and the last two wins, over conference champion Binghamton and number two Boston University, has signaled the Cats resurgence.Not only has the team dominated defensively throughout the their five game shutout streak, but they have begun to hit their offensive stride.Last season’s scoring leader junior Jordan Crasilneck finally netted his first goal of the season against BU and forwards sophomore T.J. Gore and junior Lee Stephane Kouadio have returned to their old ways of terrorizing defenses.The late season burst leaves the Cats poised to make a second straight trip to the conference championship game, where they would have another shot at Binghamton – who took the title last season on a very questionable penalty.But, with over a week and a half off, the team has to avoid having a Colorado Rockies-like collapse after such an impressive streak.