Trinity Campus voyeur pleads guilty

Editor’s Note: This article was updated 2/4/2021 at 3:06 p.m. to reflect the 2011 expungement of the case from Yarosh’s record.  

UPDATE 2/4/2021: In March 2011, Yarosh’s record was expunged by the Vermont Superior Court. This means that all court and police records of the incident have been destroyed wiping Yarosh’s record clean, according to a March 2011 order.  

Former UVM student Jordan Yarosh pleaded guilty to three counts of voyeurism on Tuesday.

Yarosh, 18, was expelled from UVM last spring after being arrested because he “intentionally viewed, photographed, filmed or recorded the intimate areas” of female students in their bathroom, according to the police affidavit.

The incident occurred at Sichel Hall, on Trinity Campus.

Using a Sharper Image clock with a secret security camera, Yarosh recorded the girls unÂdressing, the affidavit states.

The three charges of voyeurism brought against Yarosh are for filming three sophomore girls in their bathrooms.

According to the affidavit, one of the girls who was filmed became suspicious when she moved from one suite to another, and the Sharper Image clock in the old suite’s bathÂroom was now in her new suite’s bathroom.

The girl’s new suitemate had never seen the clock in their bathroom until the girl moved in. When the girl went to check if the same clock was still in her old suite’s bathÂroom, she found that it was not.

Captain Tim Bilodeau of UVM Police Services, who was the investigating officer for the Yarosh case, said that he could not speak to what Yarosh’s motivation was for committing crimes of voyeurism. He did say that when incidents like this happen within a community, it cuts to the core of people’s feelings.

The affidavit states that the maximum penalty for a charge of voyeurism is no more than two years of imprisonment and/or a fine of no more than $1,000.00. In Vermont, voyeurism is a misdemeanor.

“I can’t really speak to the punishment that fits the crime,” Bilodeau said.

On Tuesday, Judge M. Patricia Zimmerman accepted Yarosh’s plea of guilty to all three charges. The sentencing hearing is set for Oct. 27, with the District Attorney in attendance.

The sentence could involve a maximum two years of probation, including sex offender counseling, ongoing counseling and therapy with Barbara Libon Ph.D., and substance abuse counseling.

“I’ve worked on a sex crimes task force … so I’ve been involved in many, many sexual assault cases. I’ve dealt with many people in similar situations of betrayal,” Bilodeau said.

On Monday, before Yarosh plead guilty, his Attorney Paul S. Volk filed three documents, including a psychosexual evaluation and report/recommendation.

Bilodeau said that the crime was, and remains, hard on the girls victimized.

He asked: “Are you going to mention their names?”

He said that preventative measures are always being taken – looking at UVM policy and setting up specialized task forces, among other things.

“UVM, in a broader prospective, and UVM police, we’re always active with the pro-active piece.”

Bilodeau also said that UVM and UVM police want “to make sure that we have a response to a situation like this where folks are ending up in crisis… and that’s a continual process.”

One UVM first-year student, when told about the case, asked, “Did that really happen?”

Yarosh indicated to police, as stated in the affidavit, that he had a “different personality” when he used the camera, which was from “on or about Nov. 1, 2007 through Feb. 24, 2008,” and “mentioned several times … that he knew this part of him was ‘sick’.”