UVM Receives $150,000 for Minority Graduate Students

The University of Vermont will receive a $150,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to provide opportunities for “economically-disadvantaged and minority” graduate students in community development and public administration.

Jane Kolodinsky, chair of the department of Community Development and Applied Economics (CDAE) announced this week the creation of fellowships that couple full-time academic study with part-time work study in local governmental and nonprofit community development organizations.

“This important grant will provide new opportunities for graduate study in community development for students facing economic, ethnic or other potential barriers to the pursuit of graduate degrees,” said Kolodinsky. “It will increase the diversity of our graduate student body and enrich the intellectual and cultural environment for our graduate programs,” she said. “We encourage individuals who think they may be eligible to contact us right away.”

The new project grew from a collaboration between UVM and the Burlington Community Outreach Partnership Center, which is part of the city’s Community and Economic Development Office. More than a dozen local organizations have already indicated interest in working with these students.

“Because of the work-study component of the fellowships, both the students and the city will benefit from students’ presence in local non-profit and government organizations,” said Burlington Mayor Peter Clavelle.

The master’s degrees in community development and applied economics and in public administration are both two-year programs. The master’s degree in community development and applied economics addresses sustainable, rural and urban community development. The master’s degree in public administration focuses on public policy and public and nonprofit organization management. The CDAE department is part of UVM’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

Fellows must be U.S. citizens or resident aliens and be enrolled full time in a college or university graduate program. The fellowship provides full tuition and fees: $13,000 toward living expenses, health insurance and books. For additional information or an application, contact Richard Schramm, [email protected], 802-656-0292.