UVM Ski Team Comes Out On Top In First EISA Race of the Season

The University of Vermont already owned an 18-point lead over the University of New Hampshire after the first day of racing at the St. Lawrence Ski Carnival, the first race on the EISA circuit this season. Vermont finished the two-day competition with 628 points, while New Hampshire was second with 607.5 points. Dartmouth was third with 588.5 points and Middlebury finished fourth with 582 points. The Catamount alpine teams again performed well, with Jamie Kingsbury (Waitsfield, Vt.) finishing second in the women’s slalom race(her first collegiate race) and Jimmy Cochran (Keene, N.H.) winning the men’s event for the second straight day. Due to weather conditions, meet organizers decided to run another slalom event rather than a giant slalom race as scheduled. Senior captain Gillian McFetridge (Ottawa, Ontario) was fourth in the women’s race, while Madaileine Krebs (Ludlow, Vt.) was eighth and Amy Cochran (Keene, N.H.) ninth. For the men, freshman Paul Epstein (Carlisle, Mass.) finished ninth while senior captain Scott Kennison (Waitsfield, Vt.) was 10th. In the women’s nordic classical pursuit race, UVM captain Emily Klemp (Laurium, Mich.) finished ninth, covering the 5-K course in 38:54 for her second straight top-10 finish. Freshman Molly Gray (Newbury, Vt.) was 16th in 40:05. Sophomore standout Ethan Foster (Weston, Vt.) won the men’s 10K nordic race, posting a top time of 30:34.3 to lead the Catamounts. Freshman Dave Smutok (Wayland, Mass.) had a solid race in his first collegiate appearance, finishing ninth overall. Ryan Foster (Weston, Vt.), Andrew Kastning (Crested Butte, Colo.) and Anders Osthus finished 11th, 12th and 13th in their first races of the season. His younger brother, Ryan Foster (Weston, Vt.) was ninth (1:06.08) while Andrew Kastning (Crested Butte, Mont.) was 10th and Jordi St. John (So. Londonderry, Vt.) 12th. New Hampshire hosts next weekend’s carnival on Jan. 24th and 25th. Complete results of the St. Lawrence Carnival can be found by going to the EISA Skiing web site at http://www.eisaskiing.org or by visiting the UVM Athletics web site at http://www.uvmathletics.com. -SportsInfo