UVM winter sports carrying the torch

1-10-5. It’s not a date, it was the record of the most successful sports team at UVM this fall, forged by the men’s soccer squad. Though the season was plagued by injury and attrition, concealing the talent that the team was unable to put out on the pitch, it still shows how much our beloved Catamounts struggled during the fall sports season. Collectively, the fall sports teams combined for three wins while suffering 40 losses and eight ties. Translation: Catamount fans heartburn was at an all time high during the fall. But, winter has come so bring on the Tums! Our hockey team, which is one of the most competitive in the nation year-in and year-out, has continued its trend of being nationally rank and contending in the Hockey East Conference. They currently stand at No. 17 ranking in the USCHO.com rankings and 12th in the pairwise rankings and have shown they have the talent to take on anyone in the nation. Meanwhile our men’s basketball team came out of the gates to win five straight in conference play. Experts across the nation believe that UVM has a strong chance of winning the America East and reaching the big dance. On the women’s side, the basketball team continues to be the class of the America East. The success of Vermont’s winter sports teams is glaring, but I haven’t even touched on the sports occurring outdoors. The Catamount ski team boasts dynamite young racer in the nation in David Donaldson, who raced to his 10th career victory at last weekends St. Lawrence Carnival and is a national champion in giant slalom. 1-26-10. That is the date, the current date in fact, and we’re not even two-thirds through with the winter sport season and Cat fans have already been able to see 56 wins from the winter sports programs combined. The heartburn is over for now but the butterflies have begun for Catamount fans.