Vanessa Cox Scores Five, Lifts Team to Third Seed; Will Play UNH

Sophomore women’s lacrosse standout Vanessa Cox (Newton, Mass.) is among the national leaders in two categories, and has been honored by a national website for her play last week. Cox scored 12 goals and added four assists for 16 points last week. In a 21-5 win over Binghamton, she tied the school record for points in a game with eight (five goals, three assists). She has now recorded eight points twice in the last two weeks. Cox, who had four more goals in a 12-11 over time loss at Sacred Heart Monday, leads the team in scoring with 37 goals and six assists for 43 points. Before the Sacred Heart game, Cox’s 33 goals in 10 games (3.3 a game) placed her sixth nationally in goals per game. In addition, her 39 points (3.90 a game) were 16th in the country among all Division I players. In recognition of her outstanding week, Cox was named to the womenslacrosse.com National Honor Roll. Last season, Cox had 16 goals and two assists for 18 points in 14 games. In less than two seasons, Cox is closing in on the all-time top ten in career goals at Vermont with 53. Her 37 goals thus far this season are fourth-best all-time, and her 43 points are tied for sixth all-time. Vermont took on Boston University on Friday at Centennial Field and trudged away with a 17-1 loss, the team’s worst loss of the season. Boston University’s Alyssa Trudel, a sophomore from Shoreham, Vt., and Lindsay Lewis each scored four goals as the Terriers ousted the Catamounts in America East action. Boston University, 11-4 and 4-0 in America East play, jumped out to a 12-1 lead at halftime and cruised from there. The best team in the conference, BU has now scored 75 goals in four America East games while giving up only seven. Vermont, then 3-9 overall and 1-3 in the conference, got its lone goal early in the first half when Ali Mitchell (Davidsonville, Md.) scored off an assist from Sara Talbot (Williston, Vt.). Kate McBride (Canton, Mass.) had two saves in 30 minutes of action for the Catamounts, while Megan Farrell (South Londonderry, Vt.) stopped three in relief. Boston University’s Anne Sheridan recorded three saves on four shots. The Catamounts closed out the regular season Sunday at 11:00am with a home game against America East foe Stony Brook. Vermont’s Vanessa Cox scored five goals, giving her 42 on the season, and Sara Talbot added a goal and three assists as the Catamounts defeated Stony Brook, 12-7, in America East women’s lacrosse action Sunday at UVM’s Centennial Field. Vermont’s win, combined with Albany’s 19-3 win over Binghamton, created a three-way tie between the Catamounts, Stony Brook and Albany for the final two America East playoff spots. The first five tie-breakers did not break the tie, so the names of two schools were selected at random. Stony Brook and Vermont were selected, and Vermont gets the #3 seed because of its win over the Seawolves. The Catamounts, who have now qualified for the post-season for the second straight year, will play second-seeded New Hampshire Thursday at 3:30pm at Boston University. The top-seeded Terriers take on Stony Brook at 1:00pm Thursday. The championship game will be Saturday at 12:00pm at Boston University. Vermont, 4-9 overall and 2-3 in conference play, jumped out to a 3-0 lead on goals by Talbot, Erin Hall (Montpelier, Vt.) and Cox before Stony Brook countered with a the first of two goals from Danielle Werner. The Catamounts had a 6-2 lead at the half and kept the Seawolves at bay with six second-half goals. Hall had two goals for Coach Kissy Rowley’s team, while Molly Sheehan (Salisbury, Vt.) had two goals and two assists. Caitlin Fitzpatrick (Middlebury, Vt.) and Katie Sobocinski (Larchmont, N.Y.) also scored for Vermont. Cox’s 42 goals this season are third-best in school history. Former standout Lyn Jordan ’85 had 57 goals in 1984 and 45 goals in 1985. The 48 points by Cox this season are tied for fourth-best all-time, with only Jordan and Courtney LaMere ’02. Stony Brook was led by Werner’s two goals, while Marrisa Trachtenberg had two goals and an assist and Kerri McCabe contributed two assists. Kate McBride had seven saves for Vermont while Gina DeNezzo and Ashley Blake combined for three stops for Stony Brook. -SportsInfo