Vermont Blanks RPI in Women’s Hockey

The Vermont women’s hockey team got goals from three different players and junior Kami Cote (Copperton, Utah) picked up her first career shutout as the Catamounts defeated visiting RPI, 3-0 at Gutterson Fieldhouse. Vermont’s first tally of the contest came just before the first intermission. Lindsey Tilbury (Rochester, Minn.) fired a puck from the slot over the shoulder of RPI goaltender Rosina Schiff (St. Louis, Mo.) at 18:39. Teammates Hilary Johnson (Arlington Heights, Ill.) and Jackie Duerr (Longlake, Minn.) picked up the assists on the goal. The Catamounts took the 1-0 lead into the locker room at the intermission. UVM added its second goal in the opening minutes of the second period. Freshman Marla Straight (South Hero, Vt.) picked up a pass from Caitlin Barnes (Norwalk, Conn.) and sent a wrist shot into the RPI net at 2:19 of the period. Vermont took the 2-0 lead into the break. Duerr added an empty net goal at 18:38 of the third period to close out the scoring for Vermont. Cote stopped all 23 saves she faced in the Vermont net to pick up the win. Schiff was credited with 36 saves for Rensselaer. Vermont improves to 3-7-1 overall and the Catamounts match their win total from last season. Rensselaer falls to 2-2-1 on the year. Vermont returns to action next weekend when it hosts Yale and Princeton in a pair of ECAC contests.-Athletic Communications