Vermont falls to Big Green

The University of Vermont’s women’s soccer team fell to the Dartmouth Big Green 2-0 in the first game of a three game homestand at Centennial Field on an overcast Wednesday afternoon.The Catamounts and Big Green both played solid defense at the start of the first half, making it tough for either offense to muster much of an attack.Vermont had an opportunity midway through the first half when a corner kick nearly found the back of the net, but through the herd of players Dartmouth goalkeeper Amanda Webb was able to knock the ball away at the last second.That would be the best chance the Catamounts got. Dartmouth outshot the Cats 24-4 in the contest, and Vermont’s defense was put under immense pressure with the ball being in their half of the field for much of the match.UVM freshman goalkeeper Eliza Bradley played strong in net for the Catamounts. Even though she was under a barrage of shots, she was able to make 8 saves to keep Vermont in the game. Her biggest save came on a Dartmouth breakaway when she came all the way out to the edge of the box to deflect the ball away from the net and keep the match scoreless.Dartmouth finally broke through off a free kick in the 39th minute when substitute Sarah Johnson beat Bradley to the near post, giving the Big Green a 1-0 lead.Vermont had another chance late in the first half on a corner kick that sailed in front of the net and was nearly knocked in, which would have evened the score heading into the half.”We need to find that extra get up and go, and let the game unfold in front of us. We are putting too much pressure on ourselves,” UVM coach Kerry Dziczkaniec said after the game.Much of the second half was spent in UVM territory, and a foul in the box awarded Dartmouth a penalty kick at the in the 53rdminute. Johnson once again found the back of the net, pushing the Big Green out to a 2-0 advantage.The defense which had played quiet well in the first half wore down as the game went on, and the offense, led by senior Cassandra VanLeeuwen, had trouble breaking through theBig Green defense. When they did manage to find a hole they could not get the last touch through to overcome the two goal deficit.”We need to finish our chances, and step up our play a notch. We are getting close to half way through the season,” Dziczkaniec said. “[We] are getting some players back from injury which will add depth to the lineup.”With the loss Vermont drops to 1-5-1 on the season, while the win lifts Dartmouth to 4-3-0 on the year.