Vermont Governor Dean Seeks Democratic Nomination For President

Ex-Vermont Governor Howard Dean is trying to make a name for himself around the country during his full-time campaign for the presidency.

Right now, though, he first has to become the Democratic Party’s nominee. Dean is one of seven (and the number is still growing) candidates for the Democratic nomination in the 2004 presidential election who spoke at the Democratic National Convention last Friday and Saturday.

Although Dean’s name recognition across the country is much less than other candidates (especially ex-vice-presidential nominee Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman of Conn. and the Rev. Al Sharpton), Dean set himself apart with his 10 minute speech to the Democratic Party.

According to the Washington Post, “Dean’s fiery and unabashedly liberal message drew the most enthusiastic response from an audience demoralized by Democratic losses in the 2002 elections and eager to hear their top elected officials and prospective candidates challenge the president and defend the party’s core values.”

The Democratic Party’s nominee will not be finalized until a year from March, but this early media coverage is essential if Dean is to win.

So far the media has reacted extremely well to this “long shot”.

In a five page story completely about Dean in the popular online magazine Salon.com, Dean has “set himself apart not only from the bland, cautious Democratic bench of presidential wannabes, but from the bland, cautious Democratic Party in general.”

This past weekend Dean stepped to the forefront of the nominees. While other nominees like former House Democratic leader Richard A. Gephardt (Mo.) took cheap shots at President Bush saying, “[Bush] came in second in the election and still figured out how to get in the Oval Office.” Dean’s criticism of the current administration seemed more relevant to current issues facing the country. Dean spoke critically of the White House’s current national budget, foreign policy and handling of health care.

Unlike the other candidates, he also disapproves of the way the Democratic Party has been dealing with the Republican majority.

“I think [the Democrats have] decided that the way to be popular is to be almost as conservative as President Bush,” Dean recently told reporters.

The ex-Vermont Governor exhibits a clear view on all of the major issues facing our country, as can be seen on his campaign’s website, Deanforamerica.com.

There he clearly expresses his position on health care, fiscal responsibility, equal rights, education, abortion, gun control and national security.

In his speeches and interviews a few aspects of his history and character continue to come up.

Dean frequently points out that he is a physician and thus has a particular expertise concerning the health care system in the United States.

Also his history as governor of Vermont is continually brought up to illustrate his fiscal, medical, and educational successes.

Possibly most prominent, is his history of fighting for equal rights as can be seen in his popular and controversial stand for civil unions.

It appears to be an uphill battle for Dean but recent history is on his side.

In the last quarter-century (besides 1988) all presidents were previous governors and Dean is the only governor currently running.