Vermont, the nation

Vermont secession, just like any idea left unconsidered, is easy to dismiss. Rather than discard the idea outright, there are a number of moral, philosophical and even practical considerations that may make the idea very attractive.First, why should we break from the Union?The nation as a whole has been rapidly departing from the vision of America held as ideal by many Vermonters – it has become a big-government, militaristic and corporate-run monolith, which seeks to intrude more and more into our private lives.Many of us who support secession no longer believe that the United States’ government can be trusted to act in the interests of its people.Because of this, Vermont is unable to direct itself as it wishes. Policies governing drug and alcohol use, National Guard deployment and a whole range of other issues have been stolen from our communities’ hands.So why should Vermont continue to be a cog, happily squeaking along in the American machine?The most common answer is that Vermont cannot survive on its own. It is simply too small and poor to function without the safety net provided by the national government.Where does this idea come from? Vermont has a large agrarian sector to produce the food needed to trade and to feed its citizens, a thriving tourist industry to bring in money from the outside and located in the far-north, little need for a large military if any at all.And though Vermonters receive an average of $1.08 for every dollar we contribute to the federal government’s coffers, unfunded, under-funded and mandatory government programs that an independent Vermont would not be forced to participate in suggests that the effect of this extra revenue may get reduced to zero.In other words, Vermonters may see little or no adjustment in their tax burden, while maintaining all of their currently enjoyed services. Our highways would remain paved and police and fire departments would continue to keep us safe.An independent Vermont is an idea that is worth a serious thought.