Vermont’s lesser-known competitors

Rugby As fall semester begins, many of UVM’s club organizations are starting up again, and One of the more recognizable clubs at UVM is the Men’s Rugby Football team. They are coming off their most successful season to date when they were one of the final eight teams in the country. Last seasons success only fuels their determination to climb to the top this season. The team trains 4 days a week, and plays their games on Saturday’s at the field on East Avenue. Their first game is against St. Mike’s on September 16. “The league will be tougher as we have moved up a division but we have extremely fast and dangerous backs and very mobile and aggressive forwards” Declan Connolly, a team advisor said when referring to the clubs rise in the northeast region. “Our initial goal is to win our regional conference and then take things from there.” This year’s team, consisting of a 40 man roster, has its work cut out for them. But armed with both seasoned veterans, as well as various promising newcomers the team has the makeup to go really far. The team is not only focused on winning, but as well as building sportsmanship, and creating a sense of team unity, and friendship. Come out to support one of the University of Vermont’s hardest hitting club teams at one of their home games this season.Crew This year marks the UVM Crew team’s 20th anniversary, and both the men’s and women’s Crew teams are looking to celebrate with their most successful seasons yet. Though the Crew teams compete at the club level here at UVM, they compete against other college’s varsity programs, and beat them. The women’s team in particular had great success last season, sending all three of their boats to the finals, with two of the boats medaling in their respective events. This leaves the 2006 squad with big shoes to fill this fall. The teams practice six days a week starting at 5:30 am on the Lamoille River in Milton. Headlining this years schedule is the Head of the Rideau, an international race in Ottawa. They will also be racing at the Head of the Charles, the New Hampshire Championships, Saratoga, and also The Textile in Massachusetts. The crew teams are always looking for new members to join, and no experience required. Interested parties should contact Heather Baldyga at [email protected] Hockey As this years fall semester rolls around here at UVM, it marks the opening of a new Roller Hockey season. One of UVM’s more successful teams recent years, the 2006 team will be looking to build on past seasons success. The team is a competitive co-ed club, organized by students that participates in the Eastern Collegiate Roller Hockey Association (ECRHA), which is a region found in the National Collegiate Roller Hockey Association. One does not have to look very far into the past to see how dominate the team can be. After posting an impressive 14-3-1 record during the 2002-2003 season followed with a solid 16-4-2 mark in 2003-2004. Luke Brindamour, a junior at UVM, is the team’s goaltender, and is the president of the club as well. Luke believes that with a bunch of new prospects and talent on this year’s team, coupled with losing only one senior from last year’s squad the team should go places this season. “With everyone else back, we should be able to make it through regionals and onto nationals this season.” For the UVM Roller Hockey team the new season brings a fresh start, and along with it the lofty expectations of making a championship run. For more information about the University of Vermont’s Roller Hockey program please contact Brindamour at [email protected].