Where will technology lead?

Will humanity ever get to a point where we can’t function without technology? Are technologies like cell phones, lap tops, and GPS slowly overtaking all forms of human interaction? Will we become socially maladapted because we are used to dealing with people via webcam or Skype and not in person? Is it evolution or a slow decline of the human race as recent movies like “WALL-E” and “Idiocracy” suggest?We at the conservative unit think that technology is good to a point; until people become hopelessly dependent on that technology. People have become obsessive compulsive about checking their cell phones. They can be really disruptive in daily life – cell phone use and netiquette are often ignored by many people.There are, without a doubt, some great advantages to technology use, but most of us don’t realize how technology completely envelops and dictates our everyday lives. Even as we are writing this, we are using the synonyms application on word … What is a thesaurus again?Evolution has led us to create machines that make life easier for us. But at what cost?Hand-writing is one the best personal forms of expression, and it is more meaningful to the writer. If we replace most of our communication with homogeneous text expressions, how will people in the future read our thoughts as deeply?We are not luddites. We see the value of technology, but serious examinations need to take place for the role that technological devices will play in our future society.Technology brings us together in certain ways, but it also keeps us apart. Why enjoy conversation over coffee at your friend’s house when it’s so much easier to Instant Message 10 friends online from the comfort of your couch? We have a challenge for you. Over the weekend, once you’ve got your work done, take a day, just one day, to turn off the laptop, the cell phone, the TV and just go for a walk on the waterfront. Go to a friend’s house and play a game or have a conversation, read a book. It’s harder than you’d think to do, but it feels refreshing. Contrary to what you may think, we actually wrote this on a typewriter …