Will Sedlack manipulated facts to spin story against Greek system

In his article, “Frats and sororities diminishing at UVM,” William D. Sedlack manipulates statistics in order to provide a skewed perspective on the current state of Greek life at the University. Much of his information is based on historical membership of Kappa Sigma, and as a brother of this fraternity, I would like to provide some clarification for facts that were taken completely out of context. Kappa Sigma’s paltry membership of seven brothers in 1975 can be attributed primarily to a fire that burned the house to the ground and took the lives of two brothers in the prior year. In addition, Kappa Sigma was once synonymous with football. In 1972, 95 percent of the house played football, and for the 12th year running a brother was selected as co-captain of the team. When football was done away with in 1974, the fraternity lost the consistently robust numbers that came with it. Still, any past fluctuations in membership are irrelevant to a statement about the current state of Greek life and the direction in which it is moving. If anything, Kappa Sigma’s very presence on campus is a testament to a burgeoning Greek system. The fraternity was removed from campus in 1998 and remained a nonentity until being revived in 2004 by myself and 20 others. Now we have over 40 members and are swiftly approaching the 50 that would grant us a charter through the national organization. But Kappa Sigma won’t be the new guys for much longer. Delta Psi fraternity has expressed a great deal of interest in returning to UVM. A group of students are working on establishing the multi-cultural fraternity Gamma Omega Delta as well. And they aren’t the only ones. According to the advisor to Greek life, Kimberlee Monteaux, national and international fraternities are contacting her every week to express interest in starting a chapter at UVM. She also informed me that recruiting is up across the board from last year. Greek life is not what it was in the 1950′ and 1960s and it never will be. Nevertheless, Sedlack’s statement that Greek life is undergoing some sort of decline is fallacious and completely out of line.