Women’s b-ball picked first in coaches’ preseason poll

Following a successful 2007- 2008 season in which the Vermont women’s basketball team boasted a 13-3 conference record, the team enters the 2008-2009 season ranked first in the America East preseason polls. Vermont returns 84 percent of its scoring and 90 percent of its rebounding in from last season, thanks in large part to the return of juniors Courtnay Pilypaitis and May Kotsopoulos. Pilypaitis led the team in scoring at 13.7 points per game and Kotsopoulos was second, averaging 10.9 points. Senior teammate Amy Rosenkrantz was also healthy for the entirety of last season and her contributions were vital to Vermont’s success last year, as she doubled her minutes and increased her scoring average. Junior Sofia Iwobi might be the biggest sleeper on the team. The best all-around athlete on the Vermont squad, she has added confidence to go along with her great speed and athleticism. Senior co-captain Sarah Madey is a crowd favorite at Patrick Gym. The Derby Line, Vt. native earned a spot on the team as a walk-on as a freshman. Head coach Sharon Dawley rewarded her for her unbelievable work ethic and commitment to the program by putting her on scholarship for her final two seasons. In the post, Vermont’s top threat is senior Andrea Cihal, an America East All-Rookie selection in 2006. Her development has been amazing to watch and she has returned from the off-season with added size on her 6’3″ frame and has developed more confidence in her game.