Yelawolf gone wild

An unexpected turn of events brought much excitement — and a black eye — to the Davis Center on Thursday night. Opening act for Wiz Khalifa, Michael Atha, known by his stage name “Yelawolf,” punched sophomore Frank Flora in the face, an Affidavit of Probable Cause issued by Officer Derrick Kendrew stated. Flora was reportedly yelling at Yelawolf, insulting his music, and at one point spit on the musician, first year Anna Purvis, who was working the concert, said. Yelawolf exchanged words with the student from the stage before jumping into the crowd and punching Flora, the affidavit stated. Yelawolf, accompanied by a few friends, was taken to an adjacent room for questioning, according to the affidavit. Yelawolf said “something just snapped,” the affidavit stated. Meanwhile, back onstage, the DJ continued to play music and Wiz Khalifa came on soon after, Purvis said. “People in the back couldn’t have seen what was going on, but people in the area all saw it,” Purvis said. The police were on site but didn’t respond to the assault until they saw security gathering in the area, the affidavit stated. “I witnessed Atha jump down and lunge at that same section. I looked at Det King, who was working the detail with me, and we both thought that was odd behavior,” Kendrew said. A few minutes later, Kendrew approached the scene and motioned for Flora to follow him to make a statement. “I was yelling ‘bring on Wiz Khalifa,’ who was the performer of the night. Yelawolf jumped off the stage and threw a punch to the left side of my face,” Flora said, according to the affidavit. Yelawolf spent Thursday night at the Chittenden County Correctional Facility.