Your latest COVID-19 updates

Pandemic Response Fund created, all club events cancelled and Student Research Conference to go digital

President+Suresh+Garimella+addresses+assembled+media+at+a+press+conference%2C+Nov.+14.+

Sawyer Loftus/Vermont Cynic

President Suresh Garimella addresses assembled media at a press conference, Nov. 14.

Sawyer Loftus, News and Sports Editor

UVM Foundation sets up new fund

The UVM Foundation has set up a new fund where alumni can donate to help with the University’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The new Pandemic Response Fund was created by President Garimella to make sure the most funds can be used most effectively, according to a March 19 email from the UVM Foundation.

“This means your gift can go to support student emergency travel funds, remote education assistance, community online training sessions, and other immediate campus responses at the direction of the President,” the email stated.

Events cancelled through end of semester

UVM is now canceling all student club and organization events through the end of the spring semester while limiting other gatherings to 10 or fewer people through early May.

A March 19 email from UVM Event Services stated, they would be canceling all events with 10 or more attendees through May 1.

UVM event organizers have also been asked to indicate when canceling an event that it is due to COVID-19 or other reasons, according to the email.

Student Research Conference goes digital

Additionally, the student research conference scheduled for April 16, will still take place, but online, according to a March 19 email from the Student Research Conference Committee.

“With so much being canceled, the SRC Committee would hate to miss the celebration of your research and creative accomplishments,” the email stated. “Therefore, the event will still take place on April 16, but it will be transitioned to an online platform.”

The SRC is only in its beginning stages of planning the online conference, but updates will be available on the conference website, the email stated.

Editor’s Note: The Cynic is closely following updates from UVM regarding COVID-19. To read more visit: https://vtcynic.com/tag/covid-19/