Your latest COVID-19 updates

UVM libraries restrict patrons and group gatherings on campus shrink

Alek Fleury

A busy Howe Library bustles with students around this time last year.

Sawyer Loftus, News and Sports Editor

UVM has restricted access to campus buildings and further limited the number of people that can gather on campus in its latest updated responses to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

In a March 18 email, Gary Derr, vice president for operations and public safety, stated effective immediately UVM buildings will only be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m Monday through Friday and will be closed on weekends.

Other buildings, including Howe Library, will only be accessible via CATcard. 

Libraries restrict access:

As of March 18, all UVM libraries will be closed to anyone without a UVM ID, according to an email from Scott Miller, maintenance project Coordinator for all the libraries. 

Anyone with a valid CATcard will automatically have access to Howe Library, but must enter through the exterior Cyber Cafe door, which is located to the left of the main doors, the email stated. 

Additionally, the following rooms in the library will be closed:

Ground floor: Maps 010, Study room 031 and 050, Projection classroom 001B.

First floor: Multi-Media Lab 156, Reference classroom 123.

Second floor: Quiet Study 200 (Microfilm and Fiche can still be accessed if requested.) Study rooms, 201A, 254, 255, 256, 257 and 258. Restrooms 205 and 206.

Third floor: Study room 301A. Restrooms 307 and 308.

In Burlington, the Fletcher Free Libary will be closed through April 6, according to a March 18 press release.

The Fletcher Free Library will still offer digital services including access to ebooks, audio, TV and films, as well as language classes and other educational classes, the release stated.

All items currently checked out of the Fletcher Free Library will automatically be renewed and a curbside pick up system is in the works, according to the release.

Group gatherings shrink:

To further promote social distancing, all gatherings and events with more than 10 attendees have been canceled or postponed by the University, according to Derr’s email. 

“If you have an event scheduled with University Events Services, they will assist with canceling or helping to explore alternative means of hosting, such as video or teleconferencing,” the email states. 

In a separate email from UVM Event Services, Heather Cochran-Rock, assistant director for campus events, stated they were canceling all events with more than 10 people until mid-April. 

“The timeframe on how long this will remain in effect is still not currently defined, however at this time we are canceling all events that have more than 10 people in attendance through April 15,” the March 17 email stated. 

If an event is not being managed by UVM Events Services it is the host’s responsibility to cancel and update the meeting and other services being used, like catering, according to the email.